Monday, April 16, 2007

New Furniture


Riley's gone to bed, so I've got some time to write. We're having new furniture delivered tomorrow- a couch, new dining room set and a leather ottoman. I'm pretty excited about it all. However, Tim the cat is not. You see, he's the reason we need a new couch in the first place. He destroyed the old one with his claws. We don't want to have him declawed so I bought "claw covers." I thought these would be easy to put on- how wrong I was. The first step is to trim is nails. It's been nearly an hour and we have one paw done. Then we have to basically super glue these covers over his nails. Then, we have to watch him for an hour to make sure he doesn't chew them off. (Did I mention the directions to this stuff say "Keep away from pets"? What's that about?) Ty is taking this pretty hard. I think he's concerned that we're demasculizing (is that a word? Spell check doesn't think so, but I'm leaving it.) his cat in some way. I think the Humane Society actually took care of that years ago, though. Right now, Ty's trying to figure out how we can just keep Tim locked up all the time. Oh boy.

3 comments:

Brent and Carolyn said...

I tried those cat claw things with Molly once. She had me all scratched up - it is definitely a 2 person (or more) job! It is a pain but you could also spray the furniture with the stuff that is supposed to keep cats away. You have to do it at least 2 times a day though. I'm not sure how persistant Tim is but you may have to do it for awhile. I can't wait to see your funiture.

Cathy said...

I have to weigh in on cat claws too - basically to say that you CAN'T train a cat. Period. And declawing is a small price to pay for the cushy life our cats lead - always safe and protected, well fed and loved and no one yelling at them for anything! Of course that also means that they have to be indoor-only cats - and maybe Tim wouldn't like that either. Good luck with the new furniture!

Jim & Amy said...

The only way I know to train cats is using a water gun. Any time you see him clawing you squirt him, he will soon learn his lesson not to claw. This is how I trained my cats not to get on the counters, although they do it when I am away.
Love your page!!!